Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Tyranny of the Urgent

Just stopping by to say good morning on this rainy, cold day. It's a good day to sit at home, light some candles and curl up on the couch with a blanket and a good book. Alas it's not to be, I'm at work. But there's always this afternoon. :-)

Mom's home visiting from North Carolina. We picked her up from the airport on Saturday morning. While she's glad to be here and see her FOUR children who live in Minnesota, I think she's really missing Katie and especially baby Dominic/Nicky/Roo-Roo (Kate's nickname for Nicky...I don't even pretend to get it lol). I think by this Saturday when it's snowing she's going to wish she's stayed in North Carolina! She's here through Thanksgiving, flying out while most people are out bargain hunting on Black Friday. I am enjoying having her here, of course and am threatening to refuse to send her back. It's so good to have someone to sit and enjoy long conversations with. We talk about God mostly, and what He's doing in our lives. It's one of the things I miss most about her living here, is our in-depth conversations about our Savior, the work He is doing in our hearts and lives, the places we see Him moving in our worlds. It's so good to share those things with a friend instead of just my journal. Of course, lately we've also been talking a lot about politics and the state of our nation. I will confess I've got some anxiety over the election results. As one person stated it on Facebook...it's not that I was surprised, really, but I didn't expect the nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach that I experienced that night, nor the urge to cry. Nevertheless, the people have spoken and so here we are. I can tell you one thing, my choice did not get into office and I am looking forward to January 20, 2013 very much!

Enough about that. My boss is back from Uganda and I'm glad to hand back over the reins to her. I'll confess it was kind of fun putting the paper together, but I'm glad it's not my responsibility all the time. :-)

Life overall is crazy! I feel like we're running, running, running all the time. And it's showing in our health. We're not eating healthy because it's always "grab something quick on the go". We don't have much relaxation/down time and that really wears on a person. Chris missed school yesterday because of stomach aches, Dar missed work last night because he was too physically and emotionally exhausted to go in, and Cassie is home today resting and fighting off a cold. My poor niece and nephew have been struggling with pneumonia. Our lives today are too busy, too rushed, our calendars too jam-packed and we need to slow down! The hard part is choosing which things to say no to! Mostly, the demands on our time and energy are good things! And so, for me, I feel guilty saying no. But I need to know my limits as well and make sure I'm giving enough attention to my priorities and letting the rest either wait or pass. I'm praying for discernment in this area because I know that busy-ing ourselves to death is not in God's will for us. A Bible Study leader once said that we need to not "bow to the tyranny of the urgent"! It's time, for our family at least, to get back to what's important.

So, with that, and the rain, I leave you today. Stay warm and dry! Love to you all and may God bless you! 

No comments: